Thursday, December 22, 2011

27-Jul-1996 - Day 10 - Carlisle to Penpont

  • Day's Distance: 55.2 Miles
  • Total Distance: 595.43 Miles
  • Punctures:  0

 I found the shop 'Freetime' in the centre and went in.  Phil was expecting me and he took the poles to examine.  The tent was wet from the previous mornings rain and he kindly took it to their upstairs room to spread it out and dry it.  He soon had the poles fixed up and supplied me with my old repair kit plus another for a different type of break.  All the staff were so helpful and friendly - a contrast again to the shop in Chester.

I powered my way up the A74, turning off at Gretna to cross the Scottish border and take the obligatory photograph of my bike against the "Welcome to Scotland" sign.

So began the long, 3 hour drag to Dumfires along the A75.  A boring road and against the wind all the way.  I stopped at Dumfries for some sandwiches and then hit the road again for the the camp-site just off the A76.  A short day and as I set up my tent I had real doubts if I could make it.  I felt so tired and had travelled such a short distance I was genuinely worried my legs may finally have given out.

Day 10 map (approximate route)


Ver mapa más grande

No comments:

Post a Comment