Saturday, December 10, 2011

24-Jun-1996 - Day 7 - Clunton to Chester

  • Day's Distance:  71.50 Miles
  • Total Distance:  389.48 Miles
  • Time:  5 Hrs 55 Mins
  • Average Speed:  12.0 Miles/Hr
  • Max Speed:  41.0 Miles/Hr
  • Punctures:  0

Leaving Clunton with fond memories, the road to Shrewsbury seemed to continually climb until I reached a certain point when it suddenly started to roll gently downwards at just enough of a rate for me to freewheel at 18-20 miles/hour.  This went on and on until eventually, after four miles of barely touching the pedals, the road once again levelled out.

I continued towards Shrewsbury, stopping for an 'impromptu' lunch at a village store of an ice cream, cornish pasty, Snickers bar and a bottle of strawberry flavoured milk - also picking up a Yorkie chocolate bar to nibble on the road ahead.  I passed through the outskirts of Shrewsbury so did not see what it was like, glimpsing the cathedral spire, wreathed in scaffolding, for only a few seconds.

I eventually hit the main road to Chester and began my fight with the rest of the much larger traffic.  Approaching Chester I found the camp-site and the woman who took my money was too busy on the phone to talk to me, relying on signs, gestures and snatched asides to make her intentions clear.

The camp-site was tidy and clean but had no shop, no laundry with no availability in the immediate area other than a garage which had minimal groceries only.  There was also nowhere reasonable in the area to get a decent meal.

Route Map (Aproximate)

Ver mapa más grande

No comments:

Post a Comment