Tuesday, December 6, 2011

22-Jun-1996 - Day 5 - Willand to Redbrook (Nr Monmouth)

  • Day's Distance:  96.22 Miles
  • Total Distance:  256.62 Miles
  • Time:  8 Hrs 0 Mins
  • Average Speed:  12.0 Miles/Hr
  • Max Speed:  38.5 Miles/Hr
  • Punctures:  1

With a loud "Hurrah!!" I left Waterloo Cross Campsite and headed for Taunton.  Arriving there I was amazed to see the guy from the train station at Penzance.  He and his mate were just getting ready to go their separate ways.  David, the one I had previously met, asked if we should ride together, to which I agreed.  We bought some food and I managed to find a camping shop where they supplied an additional emergency repair kit.

Twenty miles down the road we stopped for a toilet break.  When I returned to the bike I saw the back tyre was flat.  David did not want to wait around while I fixed the puncture and so he pressed on.  Twenty minutes later and much dirtier I set off once again.  I made good progress and felt strong passing Cheddar Gorge and so decided to go for it and cross the Severn Bridge.

Skirting around Bristol and through an impressive gorge (including the Clifton Suspension Bridge) I cycled on to Avonmouth.  This is the industrial area for Bristol and a complete contrast of landscapes as I sped between rundown industrial units and overgrown verges.  An Eddie Stobarts depot and ICI Severnside were there but eventually the bridge came into view and then came closer.

Reaching the bridge footpath access I stopped to take a photograph.  A jogger, who had just come over from Chepstow kindly took a photo of me and even offered me a cup of tea at his house back over the river.  I declined (graciously) wanting to make the campsite at Brockweir before it was too late.

Reaching Chepstow I got directions for the campsite from a strange old man stood in his front garden.  I began the huge climb which continued forever, eventually levelling out.  I reached the crossroads for Brockweir and, like the old man had said, began the descent.  A very steep, very long and very narrow descent finally got me to Brockweir where the girl at the pub informed me that the campsite was back up the hill and about 3 miles back the way I came.  I looked at the map and decided to press on towards Monmouth where there was another campsite.

I soon realised my legs were not keen on that idea and so I began to look for a B&B along the Wye valley, eventually arriving at Redbrook.  The people were very friendly and the food was excellent.  I ended up in the bar until 12:30am talking with the locals about the former industrialisation of the Wye valley, which used to process the tin mined in Cornwall.  This has all disappeared now although traces do remain if you know where to look, I was told.  We also talked about the local 'politics', which was a real intrigue as a plot was being hatched to give somebody his cummuppence for being so obnoxious to everybody.  Eventually the evening drew to a close and I made my way to a REAL BED!



Ver mapa más grande

No comments:

Post a Comment