Saturday, January 7, 2012

03-Jul-1996 - Day 16 - Reay to John O'Groats

  • Day's Distance: 37.50 Miles
  • Total Distance: 994.98 Miles
  • Time:  4 Hrs 30 Mins
  • Average Speed:  8.33 Miles/Hr
  • Max Speed:  - Miles/Hr
  • Punctures:  0

WINDY OR WHAT???

Very slow progress over what thankfully turned out to be fairly flat roads, but no shelter from the wind.

Today was a day of just counting down the miles - 17 miles to Thurso, 16, 15, etc. and then 20 miles to John O'Groats, 19 , 18, etc.  With only 8 miles to go I stopped off for some soup and a rest at a curious shop which had all kinds of strange things in, as well as a little cafe it was packed floor to ceiling with lots of cheap tatty things for sale.  I ate the Minestrone soup and replenished my chocolate store before heading off on the final eight mile stretch.

Once again I counted down the miles until I finally reached the junction to turn left on the A9 for the 1/4 mile run to John O'Groats.  Reaching the end there was a great feeling of relief and some satisfaction and the sight of a camp-site at John O'Groats itself meant I would not have to face that dreadful wind again.

I made my way to the signpost to have an official photograph taken, seemingly no longer half price for charity runs.  It was a grey and misty day and not the best conditions for photographs but hopefully it will look OK.  He was also good enough to take a couple of photographs with my camera, something I should have asked the woman at Lands End to do as well.

I went to book in to the camp-site and as I was looking for a pitch, a young man shouted over to me, asking whether I was finishing or starting.  I told him I was completing the ride and it turned out he was waiting for his parents who were due to arrive shortly.  I pitched my tent next to their camper van and the tent of a young woman called Hannah who they had picked up backpacking the previous night and had given her a lift to this remote spot.  We talked for a short while and then they went to wait for his parents at the signpost while I had a look around all the tourist gift shops.

After showering and changing, I went to the hotel for a meal.  Outside the building was a bike that I recognised, including my old water bottle.It was David's, the man I had met off the train at Penzance and ridden with for ten miles outside Taunton.  He had arrived an hour and a half after I had.  After over two weeks crossing the country we had arrived at almost exactly the same time, he having set off from Lands End only half an hour after I had.  It seemed incredible and we were both very pleased to see each other and catch up on each other's adventures.  He had gone through two back wheels for his bike, having to spend a day and a half in Carlisle to get it finally sorted out.

I had agreed to meet the family I had met in the camp-site for a celebratory drink later but did not realise there was a pub next to the hotel, thereby missing out on a last night celebration.  This did not stop me having a drink as I chatted to a couple from Hamilton, Glasgow who were setting off the next day to tour the isles of Skye, doing so by car, not bicycle.

So I went to bed that night with the warm glow of success.  Or was it the scotch salmon, 1/2 bottle of St Emilion and 3 pints of Theakstons Best Bitter (I travel 1000 miles across the country to find the hotel serves Yorkshire beer!).

Day 16 map (approximate route)


Ver mapa más grande

No comments:

Post a Comment